News Register Control Panel Private Messages Members List Team Search News Posts About Us

Linux Advisory » Q & A - Discussions » Miscellaneous » How to remove Linux? » Hello Guest [login|register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
matkieng

Registration Date: 07-05-2003

Rate Member

Level: 7 [?]
Experience Points: 334
Next Level: 443
109 point(s) of experience needed for next level

How to remove Linux? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

I've installed 3 OSs, WinMe, then Win2K, then Linux. Now I can't start up Linux because it say I previously Shut down Linux unclean, so it check and finally restart and the same happen. WinMe and Win2K is OK. Now I want to remove or reinstall Linux, but I think I may affect the MBR. Please give me an advise, thank you.

07-05-2003 06:19 Send an Email to matkieng Search for Posts by matkieng Add matkieng to your Buddy List
Ravish Ravish is a Male
Administrator

Registration Date: 12-27-2002
Linux Distro: Redhat, Mandrake, Gentoo

Rating:
15 Votes - Average Rating: 8.13

Level: 29 [?]
Experience Points: 211.819
Next Level: 242.754
30.935 point(s) of experience needed for next level

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

Tell me which version of linux is that? It would help me to provide better assistance. Try booting from the install cd in rescue mode. What i usually do is just overwrite old partitions and MBR.

07-05-2003 16:44 Send an Email to Ravish Homepage of Ravish Search for Posts by Ravish Add Ravish to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Ravi5h YIM Screenname: ravishahuja1
matkieng

Rate Member

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

I use the Redhat 7.3, can you tell me the way to overwrite the old partion and the MBR? Does it affect WinMe and Win2K? Thank you very much.

07-05-2003 17:04 Send an Email to matkieng Search for Posts by matkieng Add matkieng to your Buddy List
Ravish Ravish is a Male
Administrator

Rating:

Just boot from the installation cd.... and install it like u did last time. You will have old partitions when u comes to partitioning, just change the mount points of your old partitions and install as usuall. It will work.

07-05-2003 17:12 Send an Email to Ravish Homepage of Ravish Search for Posts by Ravish Add Ravish to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Ravi5h YIM Screenname: ravishahuja1
Heather Heather is a Female
Respected Member

Registration Date: 05-21-2003
Linux Distro: I'm OS neutral.

Rating:
9 Votes - Average Rating: 3.67

Level: 25 [?]
Experience Points: 79.566
Next Level: 100.000
20.434 point(s) of experience needed for next level

quote:
Originally posted by Ravish
Just boot from the installation cd.... and install it like u did last time. You will have old partitions when u comes to partitioning, just change the mount points of your old partitions and install as usuall. It will work.

That may not work...what you need to do is insert any bootable dos disk. This disk needs to have the format utility. Any Win98SE or DoctorDOS from bootdisk.com will do the trick. Once you've booted, type: "format mbr" Then Windows will take over the partition.

I only do this when everything is 100% fffffed over.

Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant

07-06-2003 19:01 Send an Email to Heather Search for Posts by Heather Add Heather to your Buddy List
Ravish Ravish is a Male
Administrator

Rating:

quote:
Originally posted by Heather
quote:
Originally posted by Ravish

That may not work...what you need to do is insert any bootable dos disk. This disk needs to have the format utility. Any Win98SE or DoctorDOS from bootdisk.com will do the trick. Once you've booted, type: "format mbr" Then Windows will take over the partition.

I only do this when everything is 100% fffffed over.

The method that I suggested would be easier for you. The linux installer would take care of format the old linux partitions.

07-06-2003 19:06 Send an Email to Ravish Homepage of Ravish Search for Posts by Ravish Add Ravish to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Ravi5h YIM Screenname: ravishahuja1
Prasad Prasad is a Male
Cool Newbie

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Linux Distro: Red hat

Rating:
1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00

Level: 11 [?]
Experience Points: 1.495
Next Level: 2.074
579 point(s) of experience needed for next level

If you are not intrested insaving current linux & If you can install it again, then insert the win98 bootdisk and type
"fdisk /mbr"
Taht will remove current mbr without any problem, it will save your Win2k & Win ME.

If you don't want to loose linux, Type "fsck" or "e2fsck" when it gives you chance to save the system

cute

07-09-2003 19:17 Send an Email to Prasad Search for Posts by Prasad Add Prasad to your Buddy List
matkieng

Rate Member

I've tried fsck, but I have no response from Linux, can you tell me more details, thank you.

07-10-2003 17:32 Send an Email to matkieng Search for Posts by matkieng Add matkieng to your Buddy List
Prasad Prasad is a Male
Cool Newbie

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Linux Distro: Red hat

Rating:
1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00

Level: 11 [?]
Experience Points: 1.495
Next Level: 2.074
579 point(s) of experience needed for next level

If you have used e2fsck then if still your system is not properly working then without wasting your time just remove linux by refreshing the MBR file by fdisk /mbr

If you still want to save your system tell me more about your problem

cute

07-10-2003 19:49 Send an Email to Prasad Search for Posts by Prasad Add Prasad to your Buddy List
Post Reply:
Title (Optional):

Convert URLs: Automatically converts internet addresses into links by adding [url] and [/url] around them.
Email Notification: Notifies you by email every time there is a new post in this thread.
Deactivate smilies in this post.
Add Signature: Displays your signature in this post.

Tree Structure | Board Structure
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to: