News Register Control Panel Private Messages Members List Team Search News Posts About Us

Linux Advisory » Q & A - Discussions » Miscellaneous » Accidently changed my root accountname! » Hello Guest [login|register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
synerr synerr is a Male

Registration Date: 06-11-2003
Linux Distro: Mandrake 2.4.18-6mdk

Rate Member

Level: 6 [?]
Experience Points: 270
Next Level: 282
12 point(s) of experience needed for next level

Accidently changed my root accountname! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

Well as the subject says I accidently changed my root accountname.What do I do now?Please help.

07-17-2003 18:39 Send an Email to synerr Search for Posts by synerr Add synerr to your Buddy List
Ravish Ravish is a Male
Administrator

Registration Date: 12-27-2002
Linux Distro: Redhat, Mandrake, Gentoo

Rating:
15 Votes - Average Rating: 8.13

Level: 29 [?]
Experience Points: 211.826
Next Level: 242.754
30.928 point(s) of experience needed for next level

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

Boot into single user mode by typing 'linux -s' or 'linux single' (without quotes) at the LILO boot prompt. In case you are using grub as boot loader, Hit 'e' at the Grub screen and then add 'single' to the kernel line and boot. Now you have root access to the system and you can edit /etc/passwd file to change the name back to root.
Now press Ctrl+D to restart and boot as normal.

You might also like to refer to my tutorial at https://www.linuxadvisory.com/tutorial5.html.

07-17-2003 20:38 Send an Email to Ravish Homepage of Ravish Search for Posts by Ravish Add Ravish to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Ravi5h YIM Screenname: ravishahuja1
Post Reply:
Title (Optional):

Convert URLs: Automatically converts internet addresses into links by adding [url] and [/url] around them.
Email Notification: Notifies you by email every time there is a new post in this thread.
Deactivate smilies in this post.
Add Signature: Displays your signature in this post.

Tree Structure | Board Structure
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to: