News Register Control Panel Private Messages Members List Team Search News Posts About Us

Linux Advisory » Community » News » partioning your hard disk » Hello Guest [login|register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Nitin Nitin is a Male
Contributor

Registration Date: 07-24-2003
Linux Distro: red hat 8.0

Rating:
9 Votes - Average Rating: 9.22

Level: 13 [?]
Experience Points: 3.870
Next Level: 4.033
163 point(s) of experience needed for next level

Thumb Up! partioning your hard disk Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

PARTIONING YOUR HARD DISK

hi there
its smartass here got my older posts about mp3 in linux 8/9 and changing boot loaders
now its turn of hard disk partioning u all must be knowing how fuckinly difficult it can be and can even cause pain in your arse so here are few simple ways for it

1. most simple and obvious is to getting tools like partion magic and all that stuff but personally i don't like thats stuff coz u had to buy it and softwares like it takes all the excitement out of partioning your hard disk.

2. well u can get a software called FIPS , it runs in DOS window and is good as u can edit your partions without deleting one.you can also backup your initial partions with this, hey i don't remember any website to get FIPS but ya u can mail me and i would send it to u.

3.third and last option is to use FDISK well thats what i love . it gives u a look at current status of your partions.say if u want to part your D drive in two , here i expects that windows or linux is not installed there , if u want to part an active drive than use FIPS .
continuing with FDISK ,
i . to part your drive firstly backup all of your data on another drive
ii. then reboot your computer with the help of a boot up disk , to create a boot up disk go to start-> settings->control panel.then click on add/remove program and then click on startup disk and then on create disk u would require a floppy disk
iii. now write the following commands
c:\fdisk
it would bring a screen as follows

Your computer has a disk larger than 512 MB. This version of Windows
includes improved support for large disks, resulting in more efficient
use of disk space on large drives, and allowing disks over 2 GB to be
formatted as a single drive.

IMPORTANT: If you enable large disk support and create any new drives on this
disk, you will not be able to access the new drive(s) using other operating
systems, including some versions of Windows 95 and Windows NT, as well as
earlier versions of Windows and MS-DOS. In addition, disk utilities that
were not designed explicitly for the FAT32 file system will not be able
to work with this disk. If you need to access this disk with other operating
systems or older disk utilities, do not enable large drive support.

Do you wish to enable large disk support (Y/N)...........? [Y]

after that press enter and you would get a screen as follows

Microsoft Windows 98
Fixed Disk Setup Program
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp. 1983 - 1998

FDISK Options

Current fixed disk drive: 1

Choose one of the following:

1. Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive
2. Set active partition
3. Delete partition or Logical DOS Drive
4. Display partition information

Enter choice: [1]

Press Esc to exit FDISK

enter your choice as 3
and delete the drive u want to partion then take a look at option 4 that gives info about current status
now we had to create the partion so enter 1 as option in above menu and then create your partions u can make 2 or 3 or more partions as u like .
u can even make a partion smaller than the parent partion and left the space if you are installing linux or some othere operating system

above is a safe and easy step by step method for partioning the hard disk however i wouldn't be responsible for any mess created by u or any problem occured while above process as its not easy to patrtion a drive but i m sure u can easilly do it

thats all for now
if u find any bugs or have any problem in this or any other doubt or questions about linux or windows do email me at
[email protected] (i answer all my mails)

bye for now
smartass

Well for me life is very small and one time oppurtunity given to us by allmighty up above there so i want to make most of that so that after my death i keep living in peoples heart Wub

07-24-2003 19:29 Send an Email to Nitin Homepage of Nitin Search for Posts by Nitin Add Nitin to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: smart_ass_8_3
Ravish Ravish is a Male
Administrator

Registration Date: 12-27-2002
Linux Distro: Redhat, Mandrake, Gentoo

Rating:
11 Votes - Average Rating: 9.55

Level: 26 [?]
Experience Points: 101.967
Next Level: 125.609
23.642 point(s) of experience needed for next level

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

Nice post Smile

Administrator

07-25-2003 07:07 Send an Email to Ravish Homepage of Ravish Search for Posts by Ravish Add Ravish to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Ravi5h YIM Screenname: ravishahuja1
Nitin Nitin is a Male
Contributor

Rating:

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

thanx ravish

i worked a lot for this post thanx for the compliments

Well for me life is very small and one time oppurtunity given to us by allmighty up above there so i want to make most of that so that after my death i keep living in peoples heart Wub

07-30-2003 09:30 Send an Email to Nitin Homepage of Nitin Search for Posts by Nitin Add Nitin to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: smart_ass_8_3
Prasad Prasad is a Male
Cool Newbie

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Linux Distro: Red hat

Rating:
1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00

Level: 8 [?]
Experience Points: 612
Next Level: 674
62 point(s) of experience needed for next level

Can i have that fips?
I have used both fdisk & Partion magic & i am satisfied with that. But i am intrested in this (fips) tool.
Nice Post.

cute

07-31-2003 11:13 Send an Email to Prasad Search for Posts by Prasad Add Prasad to your Buddy List
Nitin Nitin is a Male
Contributor

Rating:

well ya prasad
if u want that fips just mail me or give me ur email id and i would mail it to u
are u an indian like me
if yes then where in india

07-31-2003 18:02 Send an Email to Nitin Homepage of Nitin Search for Posts by Nitin Add Nitin to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: smart_ass_8_3
Ravish Ravish is a Male
Administrator

Registration Date: 12-27-2002
Linux Distro: Redhat, Mandrake, Gentoo

Rating:
11 Votes - Average Rating: 9.55

Level: 26 [?]
Experience Points: 101.967
Next Level: 125.609
23.642 point(s) of experience needed for next level

Fips is usually shipped with most of the linux distros. You got redhat linux. And you'll find it in redhat cd under the directory dosutils or something like that.

Yes, Prasad is from India. We have alot of Indian peeps here. Most of the members here are Indians. Don't know how come... but they are. To be true... I don't advertise this site and don't tell much about it to Indians though. But, still we got majority of Indians.

Administrator

07-31-2003 19:24 Send an Email to Ravish Homepage of Ravish Search for Posts by Ravish Add Ravish to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Ravi5h YIM Screenname: ravishahuja1
Nitin Nitin is a Male
Contributor

Rating:

well yes ravish is right
prasad u can get this with cds of red hat linux
i m feeeling good to know that this site is changing to indian's lounge

08-01-2003 07:37 Send an Email to Nitin Homepage of Nitin Search for Posts by Nitin Add Nitin to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: smart_ass_8_3
Post Reply:
Title (Optional):

Convert URLs: Automatically converts internet addresses into links by adding [url] and [/url] around them.
Email Notification: Notifies you by email every time there is a new post in this thread.
Deactivate smilies in this post.
Add Signature: Displays your signature in this post.

Tree Structure | Board Structure
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to: