News Register Control Panel Private Messages Members List Team Search News Posts About Us

Linux Advisory » Linux Advisory » Requests » Kill Process in Linux » Hello Guest [login|register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Dread Dread is a Male
Conqueror

Registration Date: 07-31-2003
Linux Distro: Mandrake 9.1

Rating:
3 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00

Level: 15 [?]
Experience Points: 5.999
Next Level: 7.465
1.466 point(s) of experience needed for next level

Kill Process in Linux Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

And here comes the next question. I'm having a bit of a problem with the Xine movie palyer in Linux.

Sometimes I don't get sound. When this happens mostly I have to close Noatun which is running at the same time and then start Xine again. Yet, and here is the real problem, when I shut down Xine, sometimes the Xine process gets stuck. Now, Ksysguard tells me that the Xine process is using around 85-95% of my system load of the CPU. When I want to shut the process down, it won't let me. I have even tried to use the console with the command:

kill -9 n

where n is the pid of xine. It still won't let me. Now after I type in the command nothing happens at all. I was just wandering if there is a way to forcibly tell Linux to shut down a process or just stop using the CPU on it. I thought that it would be possible using the /proc file system, but I couldn't get far with that since the folder for the specific pid were write protected and I can't change the rights with chmod, even using root.

Sounds like a tough problem, I know. The only solution I have so far is to restart the entire computer just to stop the process, but I feel that there has to be an easier way to do this.

The worst enemy on the battlefield is an officer with a map.

08-06-2003 23:27 Send an Email to Dread Search for Posts by Dread Add Dread to your Buddy List
nulldevice nulldevice is a Male
Administrator

Registration Date: 06-06-2003

Rating:
7 Votes - Average Rating: 3.43

Level: 19 [?]
Experience Points: 20.778
Next Level: 22.851
2.073 point(s) of experience needed for next level

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

welll
i serious doubt nothing happens after kill -9 n
issue it as superuser(su)

as far as sound is concerned....ur sound card should support h/w mixing and as well should the driver (artsplay) does that very welll....otherwise u wont be able to run both the players simultaneously....

-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-
rIDing hIGh oN tH3 sKy
-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

08-07-2003 06:14 Send an Email to nulldevice Search for Posts by nulldevice Add nulldevice to your Buddy List Add nulldevice to your Contact List
Dread Dread is a Male
Conqueror

Registration Date: 07-31-2003
Linux Distro: Mandrake 9.1

Rating:
3 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00

Level: 15 [?]
Experience Points: 5.999
Next Level: 7.465
1.466 point(s) of experience needed for next level

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

I did issue it as superuser, but still nothing happened. That's also the reason why I was asking if it is possible to remove a process using the /proc file system.

As for the sound, I'll look into that some more. It probably is some option that I haven't enabled that will do the trick.

The worst enemy on the battlefield is an officer with a map.

08-07-2003 10:46 Send an Email to Dread Search for Posts by Dread Add Dread to your Buddy List
Post Reply:
Title (Optional):

Convert URLs: Automatically converts internet addresses into links by adding [url] and [/url] around them.
Email Notification: Notifies you by email every time there is a new post in this thread.
Deactivate smilies in this post.
Add Signature: Displays your signature in this post.

Tree Structure | Board Structure
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to: