News Register Control Panel Private Messages Members List Team Search News Posts About Us

Linux Advisory » Q & A - Discussions » Microsoft Security » XP decay » Hello Guest [login|register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
nulldevice nulldevice is a Male
Administrator

Registration Date: 06-06-2003

Rating:
7 Votes - Average Rating: 3.43

Level: 19 [?]
Experience Points: 22.220
Next Level: 22.851
631 point(s) of experience needed for next level

XP decay Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

Probably we have arugued a lt on M$ Patches and the price user pays for these....or otherwise...this article is an addition to it...It highlights the problems faced after patching the system and launches a very good question :

"I got to wondering whether or not anyone at Microsoft or anywhere else actually knows how these patches work. Are these fixes just huge blocks of code that replace other huge blocks of code? Are they true patches or are they module replacements? "

and moreover we need to ponder over the analomies we face after patching our system. Still we need to look into what is M$ doing regarding patches....there is a site which lists the unpatched holes in IE...which can be easily exoploited to install malware..infact of the sites on net has links to such pages which install malware in the background using these unpatched exploits....so what the M$ thinks its upto???

And more importantly what is the alternative with us if we are to leave this patching system...

Ok no more from read the article here : http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1304370,00.asp

This article is XP centreic and highlights the problems in XP after patching.

-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-
rIDing hIGh oN tH3 sKy
-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

09-30-2003 08:04 Send an Email to nulldevice Search for Posts by nulldevice Add nulldevice to your Buddy List Add nulldevice to your Contact List
Nitin Nitin is a Male
Contributor

Registration Date: 07-24-2003
Linux Distro: red hat 8.0

Rating:
13 Votes - Average Rating: 6.69

Level: 22 [?]
Experience Points: 38.966
Next Level: 49.025
10.059 point(s) of experience needed for next level

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

why the hell M$ made win xp ..

Well for me life is very small and one time oppurtunity given to us by allmighty up above there so i want to make most of that so that after my death i keep living in peoples heart Wub

09-30-2003 19:12 Send an Email to Nitin Homepage of Nitin Search for Posts by Nitin Add Nitin to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: smart_ass_8_3
Heather Heather is a Female
Respected Member

Registration Date: 05-21-2003
Linux Distro: I'm OS neutral.

Rating:
9 Votes - Average Rating: 3.67

Level: 25 [?]
Experience Points: 87.727
Next Level: 100.000
12.273 point(s) of experience needed for next level

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

quote:
Originally posted by Nitin
why the hell M$ made win xp ..

To have a successful next release of Windows...and they succeeded in that goal.

Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant

10-01-2003 00:19 Send an Email to Heather Search for Posts by Heather Add Heather to your Buddy List
Nitin Nitin is a Male
Contributor

Rating:

ya ...
but so much crap means every next day a new flaw has been found and exploited...

Well for me life is very small and one time oppurtunity given to us by allmighty up above there so i want to make most of that so that after my death i keep living in peoples heart Wub

10-01-2003 12:43 Send an Email to Nitin Homepage of Nitin Search for Posts by Nitin Add Nitin to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: smart_ass_8_3
Heather Heather is a Female
Respected Member

Registration Date: 05-21-2003
Linux Distro: I'm OS neutral.

Rating:
9 Votes - Average Rating: 3.67

Level: 25 [?]
Experience Points: 87.727
Next Level: 100.000
12.273 point(s) of experience needed for next level

quote:
Originally posted by Nitin
ya ...
but so much crap means every next day a new flaw has been found and exploited...

Linux is full of just as much crap...and you know it.

Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant

10-01-2003 21:44 Send an Email to Heather Search for Posts by Heather Add Heather to your Buddy List
Ravish Ravish is a Male
Administrator

Registration Date: 12-27-2002
Linux Distro: Redhat, Mandrake, Gentoo

Rating:
15 Votes - Average Rating: 8.13

Level: 29 [?]
Experience Points: 226.388
Next Level: 242.754
16.366 point(s) of experience needed for next level

Linux is full of crap ? Any facts to proove that?

www.gamingcell.com

10-01-2003 22:48 Send an Email to Ravish Homepage of Ravish Search for Posts by Ravish Add Ravish to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Ravi5h YIM Screenname: ravishahuja1
Nitin Nitin is a Male
Contributor

Rating:

yaaa proofs.??

10-02-2003 07:52 Send an Email to Nitin Homepage of Nitin Search for Posts by Nitin Add Nitin to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: smart_ass_8_3
onzeponze onzeponze is a Male
Contributor

Registration Date: 06-17-2003
Linux Distro: Knoppix

Rating:
6 Votes - Average Rating: 3.83

Level: 24 [?]
Experience Points: 68.223
Next Level: 79.247
11.024 point(s) of experience needed for next level

ooooooh, another battle over OS's is brewing.

10-02-2003 08:19 Send an Email to onzeponze Search for Posts by onzeponze Add onzeponze to your Buddy List
Administrator

Rating:

well Heather..well in Open Source Community if u have a hole u have a patch in a few mins...on the other hand its not the same in M$ areana...

checkout theis for more...
http://www.pivx.com/larholm/unpatched/

some of the holes listed are quite serious....and still unpatched....the users cant do anything than just wait for M$ to patch...

-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-
rIDing hIGh oN tH3 sKy
-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

10-02-2003 16:02 Send an Email to nulldevice Search for Posts by nulldevice Add nulldevice to your Buddy List Add nulldevice to your Contact List
onzeponze onzeponze is a Male
Contributor

Registration Date: 06-17-2003
Linux Distro: Knoppix

Rating:
6 Votes - Average Rating: 3.83

Level: 24 [?]
Experience Points: 68.223
Next Level: 79.247
11.024 point(s) of experience needed for next level

hmm, good point, its easy to make patches for open-source since the source is freely available

10-02-2003 17:31 Send an Email to onzeponze Search for Posts by onzeponze Add onzeponze to your Buddy List
Nitin Nitin is a Male
Contributor

Rating:

ya but for implementing that patches u must be having some brains coz patching linux is a bit difficult then windows..

10-02-2003 18:51 Send an Email to Nitin Homepage of Nitin Search for Posts by Nitin Add Nitin to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: smart_ass_8_3
Administrator

Rating:

With Every Patch u have instructions...follow them .. use some brain if required...nuthing is hard

-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-
rIDing hIGh oN tH3 sKy
-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

10-02-2003 21:55 Send an Email to nulldevice Search for Posts by nulldevice Add nulldevice to your Buddy List Add nulldevice to your Contact List
Nitin Nitin is a Male
Contributor

Rating:

ya...but applying some rpm package is a bit difficult then by running some setup in windows..

10-03-2003 18:48 Send an Email to Nitin Homepage of Nitin Search for Posts by Nitin Add Nitin to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: smart_ass_8_3
Post Reply:
Title (Optional):

Convert URLs: Automatically converts internet addresses into links by adding [url] and [/url] around them.
Email Notification: Notifies you by email every time there is a new post in this thread.
Deactivate smilies in this post.
Add Signature: Displays your signature in this post.

Tree Structure | Board Structure
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to: