News Register Control Panel Private Messages Members List Team Search News Posts About Us

Linux Advisory » Q & A - Discussions » Miscellaneous » Music » Hello Guest [login|register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Zed Metal Zed Metal is a Male

Registration Date: 10-06-2003
Linux Distro: Red Hat 9

Rate Member

Level: 8 [?]
Experience Points: 482
Next Level: 674
192 point(s) of experience needed for next level

Cool Music Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

Hello, i'm very new to Linux, infact i haven't even installed it yet, or even built the machine that it's going to go onto. I was just woundering if there was some sort of music playing program for Linux. also i was woundering how do i find out if my modem is compatible with Linux, other than installing the program and seeing if it works. thank you for your time. peace.

10-06-2003 03:04 Send an Email to Zed Metal Homepage of Zed Metal Search for Posts by Zed Metal Add Zed Metal to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: zedmetal
nulldevice nulldevice is a Male
Administrator

Registration Date: 06-06-2003

Rating:
7 Votes - Average Rating: 3.43

Level: 19 [?]
Experience Points: 20.338
Next Level: 22.851
2.513 point(s) of experience needed for next level

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

yes there load of tools to play music.....XMMS..the winamp clone for linux rulez....pls tel which linux u are using...anyhow dont know if it is already with ur distro or not( coz RH 8 onwards dont include thios one in their distros)

download XMMS from :www.xmms.org
for modems...check out
http://www.linmodems.org

Hope u get ur self settled down here. Welcome On Board

-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-
rIDing hIGh oN tH3 sKy
-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

10-06-2003 07:10 Send an Email to nulldevice Search for Posts by nulldevice Add nulldevice to your Buddy List Add nulldevice to your Contact List

Rate Member

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

Thank you Nulldevice for the info, i'll definatly get that once i get my system set up and i get linux up and running, and i'm going to run Red Hat 9. dose the XMMS play mp3's? or does it only play a spacific type of media file?

10-06-2003 13:50 Send an Email to Zed Metal Homepage of Zed Metal Search for Posts by Zed Metal Add Zed Metal to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: zedmetal
ashish
Triple As

Registration Date: 08-26-2003

Rating:
9 Votes - Average Rating: 2.78

Level: 18 [?]
Experience Points: 13.876
Next Level: 17.484
3.608 point(s) of experience needed for next level

i supose it has probs.... Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

HI zed metalll.....
Welcome..
Also, in RHL 9 it comes bundereld with it.
I mean XMMS.

It will play ob format as well as mp3 and many other.
I am not sure for some or most mp3s becoz it gives i suppose license error.
I am not too sure at that as i am also new to Linux.
Lets see ....

// ashish
www.blackcode1988.tk

10-06-2003 13:55 Send an Email to ashish Search for Posts by ashish Add ashish to your Buddy List

Rate Member

Thanks for the info Ashish. something that i find funny on message boards is when my dislexia is acting up (like it is in the morning) and all the abreviations come out weird, like when people type teh, i read the, and RHL comes out to be RLH (like the game Run Like Hell). I was also told that there aren't any games for Linux (which doesn't worry me much but i was just woundering if there are any games for it at all. thank you.

10-06-2003 14:00 Send an Email to Zed Metal Homepage of Zed Metal Search for Posts by Zed Metal Add Zed Metal to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: zedmetal
Administrator

Rating:

well this is one of the greatest myths abt lin..........
anyhow the gud news is that u can even run some of the win games in lin.....check here http://www.transgaming.com/
and as fas as lin games are concerned....all the popular games are ported...check here : http://www.lokigames.com/

just nJoy...

-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-
rIDing hIGh oN tH3 sKy
-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

10-06-2003 14:39 Send an Email to nulldevice Search for Posts by nulldevice Add nulldevice to your Buddy List Add nulldevice to your Contact List
onzeponze onzeponze is a Male
Lord

Registration Date: 06-17-2003
Linux Distro: Knoppix

Rating:
6 Votes - Average Rating: 3.83

Level: 23 [?]
Experience Points: 49.713
Next Level: 62.494
12.781 point(s) of experience needed for next level

there are games for linux Zed Metal. popular games like 'The Sims' and 'GTA vice city' have been ported using a directx clone, Smile

10-06-2003 14:39 Send an Email to onzeponze Search for Posts by onzeponze Add onzeponze to your Buddy List

Rate Member

Thanks for the game info people, i really apreciate it. thanks peace.

10-07-2003 03:28 Send an Email to Zed Metal Homepage of Zed Metal Search for Posts by Zed Metal Add Zed Metal to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: zedmetal
Lord

Rating:

np, just remember to hang around, we're a nice community. where are you from?

10-07-2003 10:31 Send an Email to onzeponze Search for Posts by onzeponze Add onzeponze to your Buddy List
ashish
Triple As

Registration Date: 08-26-2003

Rating:
9 Votes - Average Rating: 2.78

Level: 18 [?]
Experience Points: 13.876
Next Level: 17.484
3.608 point(s) of experience needed for next level

I had a chit chat with him.... Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator       IP Information

He is from US.

// ashish
www.blackcode1988.tk

10-07-2003 12:36 Send an Email to ashish Search for Posts by ashish Add ashish to your Buddy List

Rate Member

Yeah, this does seem like a nice community, unlike the few other mb's i've been on, so i do plan on sticking around, pluse knowing me i'm gaoing to run into some trouble when i start working with linux. Onzeponze, right now i'm in PA (USA) but origionaly i'm from Moscow (RU). thanks and peace.

10-07-2003 13:21 Send an Email to Zed Metal Homepage of Zed Metal Search for Posts by Zed Metal Add Zed Metal to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: zedmetal
Lord

Rating:

how old are you? do you work?

10-07-2003 14:51 Send an Email to onzeponze Search for Posts by onzeponze Add onzeponze to your Buddy List

Rate Member

I'm 17 right now, but on october 24th i'm going to be 18. and i work in a store called Party City, and i basicly do everything there exept check in new merchandise. it's not great work, but it's a paycheck at the end of the week, so i go back every weekend.
Does anyone know if you can get MSN messenger for linux?thank you and peace.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Zed Metal on 10-07-2003 at 15:01.

10-07-2003 15:01 Send an Email to Zed Metal Homepage of Zed Metal Search for Posts by Zed Metal Add Zed Metal to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: zedmetal
Ravish Ravish is a Male
Administrator

Registration Date: 12-27-2002
Linux Distro: Redhat, Mandrake, Gentoo

Rating:
15 Votes - Average Rating: 8.13

Level: 29 [?]
Experience Points: 211.887
Next Level: 242.754
30.867 point(s) of experience needed for next level

There is a MSN clone for linux... just search around. But... I use GAIM... It's something like trillian and free.

10-07-2003 16:09 Send an Email to Ravish Homepage of Ravish Search for Posts by Ravish Add Ravish to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Ravi5h YIM Screenname: ravishahuja1
Lord

Rating:

ravish answered your query. best of luck with RH 9.

10-07-2003 17:05 Send an Email to onzeponze Search for Posts by onzeponze Add onzeponze to your Buddy List

Rate Member

Thank you, i'll keep and eye out for it. I was planning on using GAIM when linux is up and running. thanks and peace.

10-07-2003 19:28 Send an Email to Zed Metal Homepage of Zed Metal Search for Posts by Zed Metal Add Zed Metal to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: zedmetal
Administrator

Rating:

well MSN for linux....aMSN...i am in love with aMSN....it even tells u who has blocked u...gives u the option to logon directly to offline mode....offline notifications...and amny more features than MSN original...grab it here http://amsn.sourceforge.net/amsn_cvs.tar.gz

-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-
rIDing hIGh oN tH3 sKy
-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

10-08-2003 06:32 Send an Email to nulldevice Search for Posts by nulldevice Add nulldevice to your Buddy List Add nulldevice to your Contact List

Rate Member

Ohhh, looks intresting, thanks for the info nulldevice. thanks and peace.

10-08-2003 20:46 Send an Email to Zed Metal Homepage of Zed Metal Search for Posts by Zed Metal Add Zed Metal to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: zedmetal
Nitin Nitin is a Male
Contributor

Registration Date: 07-24-2003
Linux Distro: red hat 8.0

Rating:
13 Votes - Average Rating: 6.69

Level: 21 [?]
Experience Points: 34.977
Next Level: 38.246
3.269 point(s) of experience needed for next level

nice find null...

Well for me life is very small and one time oppurtunity given to us by allmighty up above there so i want to make most of that so that after my death i keep living in peoples heart Wub

10-09-2003 17:51 Send an Email to Nitin Homepage of Nitin Search for Posts by Nitin Add Nitin to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: smart_ass_8_3

Rate Member

Hey, my pc finlay messed up completely, so i got to installing linux, some thing tho, how do i log onto my internet? i don't believe that bluelight makes a verson for Linux.

Is it jsut me or can't XMMS play MP3's?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Zed Metal on 10-10-2003 at 01:47.

10-09-2003 22:27 Send an Email to Zed Metal Homepage of Zed Metal Search for Posts by Zed Metal Add Zed Metal to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: zedmetal
Post Reply:
Title (Optional):

Convert URLs: Automatically converts internet addresses into links by adding [url] and [/url] around them.
Email Notification: Notifies you by email every time there is a new post in this thread.
Deactivate smilies in this post.
Add Signature: Displays your signature in this post.

Tree Structure | Board Structure
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to: